Wednesday, March 23, 2011

You don't have to say "The Big Four-Oh" when you're referring to my age!

Today I'm going to talk about my eyes.  Yes, my eyes.  But first, as my title indicates, when you're referring to the age of someone who is 40, you're allowed to just say "Forty," rather than "THE BIG FOUR-OH!"

I went to the eye doctor today because I've been experiencing eye strain from my computer that leaves me with tired looking eyes and sometimes unsightly dark circles underneath!  A little purple can be covered up with the right makeup, but there's NOTHING that will cover up that "tired" look (well, except for sunglasses, but that's only convenient when you're out in the sun...or a bag with eye holes, but that might freak some people out).  I've been battling this for about a year now, and it's gotten progressively worse.  But since I've pretty much lived on the computer since the late '90's and have had no problems, it didn't occur to me until very recently that my eyes are the source of the problem, not my diet, not the fact that I get up at 4:30 every morning, not my age (well, technically that does have something to do with it, but not specifically).

So, my sweet polite husband has been telling me for months that he doesn't notice, but how can he not notice my face looking entirely different in just a few months' time???  Finally a couple of weeks ago, I purposely stayed off the computer (was finally zeroing in on the problem) and everything was fine...a little residual tired look from the day before, but in just one day they had vastly improved!  After hubby got home for work, I decided to check my stores and I stayed on the computer for about 20 minutes.  I walked into the room and immediately he noticed I looked different!  (This is one time I was thankful he noticed I looked bad!)  Bingo!  It's the computer!

But wait, I've been using this same computer in the same spot with the same lighting for the past three years...how could it suddenly be the computer???  That's when it hit me...it's me, not the computer (although it kind of is the computer, too, lol).

Hence, the eye doctor today.  First question, "How long have you been THE BIG FOUR-OH?"  Smirk.

Anyway, he was actually pretty nice (he was filling in for my vacationing doctor), and then told me I'm in the earliest stage of needing reading glasses and "progressive" lenses (that's the nice way of saying the word I'm not ready to say).  I'll have my new "progressive" lenses in two weeks...and in the meantime I'm looking for some reading type glasses that are made for computer usage to wear when I'm in my contacts, which is most of the time.

I've had it with the tired-looking-eyes!  I really hope these things take care of the problem because having an on-line business means constant computer usage - this isn't just a matter of not logging into my Facebook page to play games or to send an e-mail to someone who I could just as easily call - this is my work, and I don't want to give it up!

So, anyway, if you ever run into a 40-year-old woman, and if you have any need to refer to her age, it's okay, you can just say "Forty."  ;)

No comments: